Skip to main content

High Cost Of Auto Insurance in Michigan

Auto Insurance In Michigan

Image result for pics of cars on freeway

Auto insurance is extremely high in Michigan as we all are aware of. Michigan auto insurance is the third highest in the nation and we are still climbing, I think this is ridiculous. I had a long talk with my agent and expressed my frustrations to her about the rates. I have never been in an accident or had any tickets and paid my premiums on time. My agent response was we are in Michigan and we are one of the states that have the highest premiums in the U.S. She explained that we are a no fault state and that plays a factor in the premiums, which means that insurance companies have to pay the cost of any car accident a customer is involved in regardless of which driver was at fault. I respond to her and said I know that but it does not make it right. I live in Pontiac and that does not help at all but what does a zip code have to do with my rate apparently a lot. Also credit rating is a factor, which that is not an issue for me. I have family in North Carolina one of my family members had a DUI and his rates are still dirt cheap compared to mine. I feel for the residents in Detroit their rates are terrible, which cause people to drive without car insurance and that is a factor in why rates are higher for people who do buy insurance. State lawmakers right now are considering bills they hope will reduce car insurance rates. Last week groups from across Michigan gathered in Lansing to announce a package of bills that could reduce auto insurance rates up to 50%. All the groups were there to get relief from the nations highest auto insurance rates.  Mayor Mike Duggan  of Detroit is really pushing hard for insurance to be affordable. I hope that this will open up everyone eyes that this is a big issue and that something really need to change. People are suffering paying these rates we need a car to get to work so we can live.  Do you really think this will happen?

Comments

  1. This topic hit a nerve. It's incredible the amount of money us Michiganders spend on auto insurance. Last week, Detroit's mayor proposed to get rid of the unlimited medical insurance and replace it with two amounts...I think 250k and 500K coverage. If that can save me 20%, I can put that money away for my retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly home it happens. It is truly irritating that over the last 34 years of paying car insurance I have overpaid by $61,000. I could almost pay off my house with the amount of money I have wasted paying for car insurance! Required car insurance! This is a great Blog topic and I am glad you are following it so closely and it sounds like you have some hope it will change soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment